I came across this beautiful recipe from naturopath and nutritionist Renee Leonard-Stainton earlier in the week and it’s simply too good not to share. This dessert is gluten-free, dairy-free and doesn’t contain any refined sugar – so that makes it a winner in my house! The combination of honey, coconut and vanilla bean makes for a mouth watering treat the whole family will love.
Note: This recipe is by Renee Leonard-Stainton via www.reneenaturally.com – for more incredibly delicious raw recipes and treats follow Renee’s blog or find her online at @reneenaturally.
3 cups almond meal
2 cups of rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup coconut oil, room temperature
1 1/2 cups liquid honey
6 free-range eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla essence
2 cups of coconut milk
Coconut & Vanilla Bean Frosting
3 cans coconut milk
½ cup agar flakes
Large pinch sea salt
½ cup of liquid honey
1 vanilla bean
1 ½ tablespoons arrowroot
2 tablespoons filtered water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the cake:
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Lightly grease an 8-inch round cake tin.
2. In a bowl, combine almond meal, rice flour, tapioca, baking powder & salt.
3. In a mixer, beat coconut oil, honey & vanilla until light & fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Pour in coconut milk & stir.
5. Add combined flour mixture into the wet mixture until blended.
6. Pour into cake tin & bake for 35 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean & cake is lightly golden on top.
7. Remove from the tin after about 10 minutes & let cool. Once cooled, take a long knife and slice the cake in the middle, to make two.
For the frosting:
8. Place coconut milk, agar flakes, salt & honey in a medium size saucepan.
9. Cut vanilla bean in half length ways and remove seeds using the tip of a small knife. Place seeds & pod into saucepan. Whisk everything together, place over high heat & bring to a boil, whisking every minute or so.
10. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until agar flakes have completely dissolved.
11. Mix arrowroot with water & slowly pour into coconut mixture, whisking constantly.
12. Raise heat & continue whisking until mixture begins to boil again. Remove from heat, remove vanilla bean & stir in vanilla extract. Pour into a bowl & once it’s stopped steaming place in the fridge & chill until completely set (about 2 hours).
13. Mixture will be hard, use a metal spoon to scoop into food processor & blend until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides & blend again.
14. Thickly frost the top of the bottom half of the cake. Use the remaining mixture to spread the frosting on the top of the cake.
(Bach. Chiropractic, Bach. App Clinical Science
Registered internationally, no longer practicing as a chiropractor in Australia.)