SERVES: Makes 24 squares | PREP & COOKING TIME: 80m
This moreish recipe is from Carla Oates book, “The Beauty Chef: Delicious Food For Radiant Skin, Gut Health And Wellbeing”. I tend to add a little more peppermint oil but tweak to suit your tastebuds. I consistently use this book so grab yourself a copy at your local book store or online.
¼ cup (100 g/3 1/2 oz.) buckwheat groats*
1/8 cup (25 g/ 1 oz.) cacao powder
1 ¼ cup (60 ml ½ fl. oz.) maple syrup
40 g (2 ½ oz.) nut butter
¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder*
Pinch of Himalayan salt
1 medium avocado, halved, stone removed and flesh scooped out
125g (4 ½ oz.) coconut butter, melted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 teaspoons barley grass powder
Pinch of Himalayan salt
4-6 drops of essential food-grade peppermint oil, to taste
35 g (1 ¼ oz.) cacao powder
35 g (1 ¼ oz.) cacao butter, coarsely chopped
3 teaspoons maple syrup
3 teaspoons coconut oil
- Lightly grease a 25 x 16 x 3 cm baking tray (baking sheet) and line it with baking paper.
- To prepare the base, lightly toast the buckwheat groats in a medium frying pan over low-medium heat for 2 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place the remaining base ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until finely chopped and mixture begins to bind together. Transfer mixture to the medium frying pan with cooked groats.
- Press the combined mixture into the base of the prepared tray. Use the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- To prepare the filling, combine all of the filling ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Spread the filling over the set base. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- To make the raw chocolate, half-fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a simmer.
- Place all of the ingredients in a heatproof bowl.
- Take the pan off the heat and set the bowl over the top. Make sure the base of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Leave for 5 minutes, or until the cacao butter and coconut oil melt. Stir to combine.
- Pour the raw chocolate over the filling, tilting the tray or spreading to cover in an even layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes, or until set.
- Using a hot knife, cut into 24 squares.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze for up to 3 months.
Oates, C. (June 2017). “The Beauty Chef: Delicious Food For Radiant Skin, Gut Health And Wellbeing”. Hardie Grant Books, Australia.