Do you agree that all children deserve the opportunity to be as healthy as they can possibly be?
Unfortunately most of us do not realise that the way our children enter the world has a direct effect on their health.
In fact, trauma from the birth process remains an under-publicised and significantly under-treated problem. There are many factors that may cause birth trauma, including:
· false labour
· a long or very short labour
· poor positioning of the infant’s head and neck as they journey through the birth canal with a vaginal delivery
· failure of the mother’s cervix to dilate
· the use of drugs to increase contraction intensity
· the use of vacuum extraction or forceps
· caesarean section delivery because of lack of progress
· cord around the baby’s neck
· foetal distress.
· an awkward position within the uterus prior to birth
Any of these factors may affect the baby’s nervous system and in turn perhaps their digestion, their capacity to breast feed or sleep well.
Parents often ask, “Why should a newborn baby be checked by a chiropractor?”
As experts in the care of the spine and nervous system, chiropractors appreciate that an incredible 65% of development of the brain and nervous system occurs in a child’s first year of life.1 It is therefore important to ensure that infants are free of nerve interference and that they have every opportunity to maximise their nerve function during this critical period.
Chiropractors are trained to assess and ease the effects of birth trauma. We believe that, for the ideal start in life, babies should be checked as soon as possible after birth to help alleviate health issues that may arise from the birth process. Even better (as we have discussed in other blogs), there is great benefit in mothers having their spine and nervous system checked during pregnancy.
While not all babies experience birth trauma, in one study2 over 1500 babies were examined within the first five days of birth. This study revealed that approximately:
• 10% of the newborn babies had perfect, freely mobile skulls or cranial mechanisms;
• 10% had severe trauma to the head, evident even to untrained observers;
• The remaining 80% all had some strain patterns in the cranial mechanism.
This study revealed that at least 90% of the babies involved had suffered birth trauma and associated strain through the neck and cranial areas.
Another study3 examined more than 1000 infants and concluded that approximately 80% of all newborns had some form of nerve dysfunction. The author commented that many health problems may arise from subluxation of the first vertebrae in the neck.
Left unresolved, these subluxations (spine and nerve dysfunction) may place stress on the communication systems of the body, in particular the nervous and immune systems. Chiropractic does not directly heal particular health issues; instead, the adjustments “free up” the communication channels, enabling the body to self-regulate and heal itself. Adjustments may also help the body to protect itself against illness and a host of potential health issues.
Chiropractic adjustments for adults differ significantly from those performed on newborns. Infant adjustments are very gentle, and typically a baby will be soothed by these techniques.
Childhood is, for most of us, a time of wonder and awe. Chiropractic respects this wonder and awe, and aims to work with the laws of nature to enhance our quality of life—from birth to beyond.
Bach. Chiropractic, Bach. App Clinical Science
Registered internationally, no longer practicing as a chiropractor in Australia.
. . . . .
For more information about Pregnancy, Birth & Beyond,
please refer to Well Adjusted Babies — which includes
Jennifer’s well-researched, easy-to-read information about…
| Improving Fertility
Self-Care During Pregnancy
Meeting Your Physical/Emotional Needs
Techniques to Ease the Pain of Labour
How to Have a Safe, Natural Birth
Breastfeeding, Formulas and Colic
First Foods for Babies
| Tips for partners and birth teams
Minimising Harmful Toxins
Alternatives to Pharmaceutical Drugs
The Benefits of Chiropractic
How to Guide Your Child’s Development
Wholesome dietary habits for the Family
And MUCH More…
Take a look at Well Adjusted Babies here.
. . . . .
- Chestnut J DC. The 14 Foundational Premises for the Scientific and Philosophical Validation of the Chiropractic Wellness Paradigm. Canada: Chestnut Wellness and Chiropractic Corporation; 2003.
- Gutmann G. Blocked Atlantal Nerve Syndrome in Babies and Infants. Manuelle Medizin. 1987;25:5-10.
- Frymann VM. Springall P. Effect of Osteopathic Medical Management on NeJAOA. 1992;92:729.