Whether your a true Vegan or you just like to minimize or avoid your dairy here are two great Vegan bread recipes.
Resources are listed so you can find more recipes and info.
Easy No-Fail Wholewheat Bread
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Easy 5-ingredient wholewheat bread. You just don’t get easier than this no-fail recipe. Hearty, wholesome, nourishing and delicious!
4 cups (520g) Wholewheat Flour
1 Packet (10g) Instant Yeast
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Maple Syrup
2 cups (480ml) Warm Water
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl with the yeast and salt and mix together.
- Dissolve the maple syrup in the warm water and then add to the dry ingredients.
- Mix – don’t knead – until you have a sticky well combined dough.
- Transfer to a greased loaf pan.
- Cover and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
- While the dough is rising, preheat the oven to 390 degrees fahrenheit (200 degrees celsius).
- After 20 minutes when the dough has risen, bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Absolutely BEST when fresh, but will keep for a day or two in a closed container. After which you can make the most delicious toast.
*If your dough hasn’t quite risen as high as mine in the picture at the 20 minute mark then leave it a couple more minutes, sometimes it takes a couple of minutes longer to get to the perfect height, but don’t leave it too long or it will rise too high and then you’ll get a muffin top loaf!
*Prep time includes the 20 minutes spent rising.
*Instant yeast packages differ in size. Lately, I have been getting packages that are 10g, and they work perfectly, so you don’t have to be that precise with the measurement of instant yeast. If you have a package of instant yeast that is a larger size, 11g is around a Tbsp of instant yeast. However, weighing your flour and your yeast is going to give you the most accurate results.
Andrews, A. (2016). “Easy No-Fail Wholewheat Bread” . Lovingitvegan.com. https://lovingitvegan.com/easy-no-fail-wholewheat-bread/
Vegan White Sandwich Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 1 hr 30 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Easy White Sandwich Bread to make grilled sandwiches. Vegan Soy-free corn-free Palm oil free Recipe. Can be made nut-free.
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon raw sugar or 2 Tablespoons maple/agave
1 Tablespoon active yeast
1/2 cup warm almond milk or other non-dairy milk
2 Tablespoons oil
3 cups organic bread flour or all purpose flour or unbleached white flour
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, proof the yeast by mixing warm water, sugar and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes or until frothy.
- In another bowl, add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the yeast mixture, oil and warm almond milk and knead for 8 minutes into a soft smooth non sticky dough.
- Use more water or flour if needed. I added another Tablespoon water. It will depend on the consistency of the non-dairy milk and if you used sugar or maple syrup.
- Spray water on top.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let rise for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Take the dough out, punch it down and shape into a loaf, by rolling into a jelly roll or pulling on all sides.
- Place in a greased or parchment lined bread pan. Spray water on top and then spray oil or dust with flour.
- Cover lightly with a towel and let rise until doubled. 30-40 minutes.
- Bake in pre-heated 370 degrees F / 190ºc for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove the bread from pan. Cool completely before slicing.
Notes: I use a bowl which can accommodate up to 3 times the size of the dough, so the dough never touches the towel covering the bowl. If it rises and touches it, it can stick to the towel.
Spray oil on top or dust enough flour to keep from sticking.
Cover the top in the last 5 minutes with another parchment to reduce browning. Brush melted vegan butter after baking for softening the crust.
Hingle, Richa (July 2, 2013). “Vegan White Sandwich Bread Recipe”. ViganRicha.